Grilled pineapple is a sweet and savory dessert made with pineapple fruit. The savor and flavor of the pineapple fruit are enhanced in a great way as the sugars of the fruit caramelize during grilling which helps to attain crunchiness and crispiness on the exterior portion of the fruit, while leaving the inside portion juicy and soft. An intense flavor of the fruit is attained as a result. The fruit becomes golden brown in color as it grills. Pepper is usually included as one of the ingredients of the dish to add some spiciness to the sweet and slightly tangy fruit. The pineapple is grilled all over until it starts drying out and becomes fragrant. Utmost care should be taken not to overcook the pineapple slices in order to prevent them from becoming mushy. Greasing the grill lightly before grilling pineapple would prevent the fruit from sticking to the grill.
Ingredients and Preparation
The basic grilled pineapple recipe suggests using ripe pineapple, salt, and cooking spray as the only ingredients.
Ripe pineapple pieces are grilled on lightly greased grill until evenly cooked, while flipping the pieces during the grilling process. The pineapple is best cooked at medium-high heat; however it can be cooked at low heat too for a long time. The grilled fruit is served warm after sprinkling salt over it.
Grilled Pineapple Recipe Variations
A few variations of grilled pineapple have been discussed below:
- Spicy grilled pineapple- this recipe varies from the basic one in terms of flavor. Spice is added to the dish by making use of red chili pepper. Pineapple slices are grilled for a few minutes, sprinkled with salt, pepper, and chili powder, and grilled again.
- Marinated grilled pineapple- this recipe suggests marinating pineapple slices in a mix of melted butter, honey, salt, and hot pepper sauce, and then grilling them on preheated and lightly oiled grill.
- Honey and lime juice coated grilled pineapple slices- a glaze made of honey, black pepper, and lime juice is brushed onto pineapple slices, which are then grilled evenly all over.
The grilled fruit can be served with ice cream.
Grilled Pineapple Uses
Grilled pineapple can be used in several dishes to enhance their flavor and nutritional values. A few popular uses of this grilled fruit have been discussed hereunder:
- Grilled pineapple can be used in green salad, where it is combined with scallions, palm hearts, crumbled turkey bacon, and cheese, and dressed with light pineapple citrus dressing made with pineapple juice, lemon juice, and olive oil. Salt, pepper, and garlic are used to season the salad.
- Grilled pineapple can be used along with sliced ham and cheese to prepare a cheese burger. Due to natural sweet flavor of the pineapple, the use of sugar laden tomato ketchup in the burger can be skipped.
- Topping warm corn tortilla with diced and grilled pineapple, black beans, tomatoes, cilantro, green chilies, and onions makes very nice black bean tacos. Crumbled queso fresco cheese and salsa can be used on the top of tacos. Grilled pineapple can also be used in chicken and beef based tacos.
Health and Nutrition Facts
Eating pineapple in grilled form is a nice way to relish the healthy fruit which is low in cholesterol, sodium, and saturated fats, and rich in vitamins C and B6. Two wedges of grilled pineapple provide around 118 calories obtained from 2.3 g of fat, 5.1 mg of cholesterol, 20.9 mg of sodium, 23.9 g of carbohydrate, and 0.4 g of protein.