|For marinating shrimp|
|Shrimp||1 Cup (16 tbs), cleaned, deveined|
|Turmeric powder||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Garlic||1 Teaspoon, minced|
|Salt||1⁄2 Teaspoon (to taste)|
|Red chili powder||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Lemon juice||2 Teaspoon|
|For the rice|
|Vegetable oil||3 Tablespoon|
|Cumin seeds||1 Teaspoon|
|Onion||1 Cup (16 tbs), chopped finely|
|Ginger garlic paste||1 Teaspoon|
|Tomatoes||1 Cup (16 tbs), chopped finely|
|Green chilli||1 Medium, sliced lengthwise|
|Coriander powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Cumin powder||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Garam masala||1 Teaspoon|
|Koda masala||1 Teaspoon (Optional)|
|Red chilli powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Basmati rice||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Water||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
1. In a bowl, put the shrimp and add turmeric, chilli powder, asafoetida, garlic, salt and lemon juice. Mix with a spoon to coat all the shrimp well with the spices.
2. Cover the bowl and let it marinate for 1 hour.
3. In a large pot, heat oil. Add cumin and let it begin to splutter.
4. Put cinnamon, black cardamom, cloves, bay leaves and peppercorns. Stir and heat till they begin to brown.
5. Add the onions and sauté them till it turns golden for around 5 minutes. Add ginger garlic paste and continue to sauté for another 3 minutes.
6. Put the tomatoes, stir, cover and allow to cook for around 5 minutes or until the tomatoes are soft.
7. Add the spices- turmeric, chilli, coriander powder, cumin powder, koda masala (if using), garam masala and red chilli powder. Stir and cook them till the oil begins to separate.
8. Put the marinated shrimp and mix well to coat it completely with the coked spices.
9. Add the basmati rice and saute for another 2 minutes.
10. Pour water, stir to mix, cover and bring it to boil on high heat.
11. Once it begins to boil, reduce the heat to medium and cook for another 10 minutes.
12. Reduce the heat completely and continue cooking for 20 more minutes till rice soaks up all the water and is cooked fully.
13. Turn off the heat and fluff up the rice with a fork. Let it sit for a few minutes.
14. In a serving plate, serve the rice warm with raita.
Calories 487 Calories from Fat 159
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 18 g27.8%
Saturated Fat 2.4 g12%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 65 mg21.7%
Sodium 664.8 mg27.7%
Total Carbohydrates 66 g22%
Dietary Fiber 5.7 g22.7%
Sugars 4.9 g
Protein 16 g32%
Vitamin A 26.2% Vitamin C 56.7%
Calcium 13.4% Iron 25.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet