1. In a bowl, put the shrimp and add turmeric, chilli powder, asafoetida, garlic, salt and lemon juice. Mix with a spoon to coat all the shrimp well with the spices.
2. Cover the bowl and let it marinate for 1 hour.
3. In a large pot, heat oil. Add cumin and let it begin to splutter.
4. Put cinnamon, black cardamom, cloves, bay leaves and peppercorns. Stir and heat till they begin to brown.
5. Add the onions and sauté them till it turns golden for around 5 minutes. Add ginger garlic paste and continue to sauté for another 3 minutes.
6. Put the tomatoes, stir, cover and allow to cook for around 5 minutes or until the tomatoes are soft.
7. Add the spices- turmeric, chilli, coriander powder, cumin powder, koda masala (if using), garam masala and red chilli powder. Stir and cook them till the oil begins to separate.
8. Put the marinated shrimp and mix well to coat it completely with the coked spices.
9. Add the basmati rice and saute for another 2 minutes.
10. Pour water, stir to mix, cover and bring it to boil on high heat.
11. Once it begins to boil, reduce the heat to medium and cook for another 10 minutes.
12. Reduce the heat completely and continue cooking for 20 more minutes till rice soaks up all the water and is cooked fully.
13. Turn off the heat and fluff up the rice with a fork. Let it sit for a few minutes.
14. In a serving plate, serve the rice warm with raita.