Spiced Potato Pilaf
|Vegetable oil||6 Tablespoon|
|Onion||1 Medium, chopped|
|Boiling potato||1 Medium, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch dices|
|Garam masala||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Cayenne pepper||1⁄8 Teaspoon|
|Rice||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Hot water||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
1) In a large heavy saucepan, pour in oil and warm over moderate heat.
2) SautÃ© the onion, until it just begins to brown.
3) Add the potato, turmeric, garam masala and cayenne. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.
4) Stir in the rice and season with salt.
5) Stir and fry for another 3 minutes, by reducing the heat if the rice seems to stick.
6) Pour in the hot water and bring to a boil.
7) Reduce heat to very low, cover tightly and cook for 25 minutes. Do not open the pot during this period.
8) Let the rice rest with cover for another 10 minutes after removing from heat.
9) Serve hot with your choice of side dish and green salad.
Calories 596 Calories from Fat 207
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 23 g36%
Saturated Fat 3.1 g15.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 521.3 mg21.7%
Total Carbohydrates 88 g29.2%
Dietary Fiber 3.2 g12.8%
Sugars 2.7 g
Protein 8 g16.5%
Vitamin A 1.6% Vitamin C 21%
Calcium 5.8% Iron 8.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet