Vegetable Rice Pilaf
|Regular long grain rice||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs), uncooked|
|Dried basil leaves||1⁄4 Teaspoon, crushed|
|Canned clear vegetable broth||14 1⁄2 Ounce (1 can, ready to serve)|
|Frozen peas and carrots||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Chopped sweet red pepper||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Fresh basil sprigs||4 (for garnish)|
1. In a medium size saucepan, melt and heat margarine or butter over medium high heat.
2. When hot but not smoking, add rice and basil.
3. SautÃ© until rice is lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
4. Tip in the broth and stir.
5. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally.
6. Cover pan and reduce the heat.
7. Let simmer, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes
8. Stir in the vegetables.
9. Recover and continue simmering another 10 minutes until the rice and vegetables are tender-crisp and the liquid has been absorbed.
10. Let stand covered in the steam for 5 minutes.
11. Fluff the rice using two forks.
12. Turn into a serving casserole.
11. Garnish with basil and serve hot
Calories 343 Calories from Fat 60
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 7 g10.4%
Saturated Fat 1.2 g6.2%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 422.9 mg17.6%
Total Carbohydrates 63 g21%
Dietary Fiber 4.1 g16.2%
Sugars 0.9 g
Protein 7 g13.1%
Vitamin A 91.5% Vitamin C 47.9%
Calcium 4.8% Iron 7.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet