Clam Pilaf Casserole
|Rice||1 Cup (16 tbs), uncooked|
|Vegetable oil||1 1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|Bacon slices||4 , diced|
|Chopped celery||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs)|
|Onion||1 Small, finely chopped|
|Green pepper||1⁄2 Large, chopped|
|Canned clams with liquid||13 Ounce (2 cans, 7 1/2 ounces each)|
|Chicken broth||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Chopped seeded peeled tomatoes||1 Cup (16 tbs) (fresh / well drained canned)|
|Tomato paste||6 Ounce (1/2 can)|
|Dry vermouth||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Fresh lemon juice||1 Tablespoon|
|Brown sugar||1 Teaspoon|
|Ground ginger||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Crumbled dried thyme||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Crumbled dried tarragon||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Garlic||1⁄2 Clove (2.5 gm), minced or mashed|
|Canned sliced black olives||2 1⁄4 Ounce, drained (1 can)|
|Toasted sliced almonds||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
1) Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2) In a large heavy skillet, saute the rice in the oil over a medium heat, stirring, until rice is thoroughly browned.
3) In a 2- to 2 1/2- quart casserole, remove the sauted rice and keep aside.
4) In skillet, gently cook the bacon until it releases some fat.
5) Stir in the celery, onion, and green pepper, and saute until softened.
Drain off the excess fat.
6) Add rest of the ingredients except the almonds, stir into the rice and mix lightly but thoroughly.
7) Bake, uncovered, in the preheated oven for 45 minutes, or the until rice is just tender.
8) Garnish with the toasted almonds and serve the Clam Pilaf Casserole, immediately on individual serving plates.