|Butter/Margarine||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Uncooked rice||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Saffron||1⁄4 Teaspoon, crumbled|
|Condensed beef consomme||21 Ounce (2 Cans, 10 1/2 Ounce Each)|
|Water||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Onion||1 Medium, thinly sliced|
|Raisins||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs), soaked in water till plump|
1. Melt 2 tablespoon of the butter or margarine in a large skillet.
2. Add rice and sautÃ© until lightly coloured.
3. Season with salt and pepper and add the saffron
4. Pour in the consommÃ© and water.
5. Bring to a boil, stirring to prevent rice from stickling to the sides and base.
6. Reduce heat, cover pan and simmer rice for about 20 to 25 minutes until tender and liquid has been absorbed.
7. In the meantime, take a frying pan and melt the remaining butter.
8. When it begins to froth, add onion to the butter.
9. Fry them on a low flame, stirring frequently, until nicely browned.
10. Add the plump raisins to the pan and sautÃ© with onion during last 5 minutes of cooking.
11. When the rice is cooked, turn off the heat.
12. Add the onions and the raisins to it and fluff using a fork.
13. Cover and let rice stand in the steam, for 5 minutes.
14. Heap into a serving dish or platter and serve hot with a curry or hearty stew.