Green Pea Pilaf
|Vegetable oil||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Onions||3 Medium, peeled, chopped|
|Onions||3 Medium, peeled and chopped|
|Cinnamon sticks||2 , broken up|
|Fresh ginger root piece||1 Inch, chopped|
|Chili powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Cumin seeds||1 Teaspoon|
|Long grain rice||3 1⁄2 Cup (56 tbs)|
|Peas||1 Pound, shelled, defrosted, if frozen|
|Peas||1 Pound, shelled , defrosted if frozen|
1) In a large saucepan, heat oil over moderate-low heat.
2) After the oil gets heated, add 2 of the chopped onions, cinnamon sticks, ginger, chili powder, turmeric, and cumin seeds and cook for about 10 minutes.
3) Gradually, add 5 cups water and allow it to boil.
4) Now add the rice, reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes, until the rice is soft and fluffy.
5) Add the peas, mix well, and further cook for 10 minutes longer.
6) Alternately, in a pan, stir butter until melted over moderate heat, add the remaining chopped onion, and cook, mixing many a times, till the onion browns and becomes crisp.
7) Evenly spread the hot onion and butter over the top of the pilaf before serving.
Calories 998 Calories from Fat 410
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 47 g71.7%
Saturated Fat 10.3 g51.6%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 21.5 mg7.2%
Sodium 28 mg1.2%
Total Carbohydrates 128 g42.8%
Dietary Fiber 12 g48%
Sugars 17.4 g
Protein 18 g36%
Vitamin A 33.4% Vitamin C 127.4%
Calcium 11.5% Iron 24.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet