Bulgur Pilaf With Currants And Pine Nuts
|Pine nuts||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), toasted|
|Olive oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Chopped onion||1 Small|
|Bulgur||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Currants||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Hot defatted chicken broth||2 Cup (32 tbs) (Preferably Homemade)|
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Place pine nuts on a baking tray and toast them in the oven, stirring frequently until golden. Remove and set aside.
3. In a 3-quart casserole or Dutch oven heat the oil over moderate heat.
4. Add the onion and sauté for 2 minutes until limp.
5. Add the bulgur and sauté until the grains are coated with the oil and turn translucent.
6. Add remaining ingredients to the bulgur, reserving some pine nuts for garnish.
7. Stir to mix well and bring to a boil.
8. Cover the casserole and transfer it immediately to the preheated oven
9. Cook, covered, for 45 minutes, without stirring or until bulgur is tender and all the liquid has been absorbed.
10. Remove from the oven and let stand for 5 minutes in the steam.
11. Fluff the pilaf using 2 forks and tossing up lightly from down to up.
12. Turn out onto a serving platter
13. Garnish with reserved pine nuts and serve steaming hot.