|Unsalted butter||1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|Olive oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Onion||1 Small, finely chopped|
|Long grain white rice||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Hot defatted chicken broth||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
1. In a 2-quart casserole or Dutch oven melt butter and heat with the oil over moderate heat.
2. Add the onion and sauté for 5 minutes until limp and golden.
3. Add the rice and sauté for another 2 minutes until the grains are coated with the oil and turn translucent.
4. Add remaining ingredients to the bulgur, reserving some pine nuts for garnish.
5. Stir to mix well and bring to a boil.
6. Cover the casserole with a tight fitting lid.
7. Cook, covered, for about 20 minutes, without stirring or until rice is tender but crisp and all the liquid has been absorbed.
8. Take off the heat let stand for 5 minutes in the steam.
9. Fluff the pilaf using 2 forks and tossing up lightly from down to up.
10. Turn out onto a serving platter and serve steaming hot.
Calories 475 Calories from Fat 99
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 11 g17.3%
Saturated Fat 3.2 g15.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 8.1 mg2.7%
Sodium 591.4 mg24.6%
Total Carbohydrates 80 g26.6%
Dietary Fiber 2.2 g9%
Sugars 2.7 g
Protein 12 g24.6%
Vitamin A 2% Vitamin C 7.6%
Calcium 13.8% Iron 10.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet