Low Fat Barley Pilaf
|Fat-free chicken broth||13 3⁄4 Ounce (1 Can, Health Valley Brand)|
|Water||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Barley||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Chopped onion||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Finely chopped celery||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Chopped mushrooms||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Diced apple||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Raisins||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|White pepper||1 Dash|
|Lemon juice||1 Tablespoon|
|Fresh chopped parsley||2 Tablespoon|
1) In a medium saucepan, over high heat, allow broth and 6 ounces of water to come to a boil.
2) Stir in barley and then lower heat so that barley bubbles gently.
3) Simmer the mixture for 45 minutes until barley becomes soft and absorbs liquid.
4) In a large skillet, over medium high heat, heat 2 tablespoons of water and sauté onions and celery in it for about 2 minutes.
5) Mix in mushrooms and again sauté for 3 minutes to release juices.
6) Pour in 1/4 cup water, diced apple, raisins and pepper and simmer for about 20 minutes until apples are tender.
7) Mix in barley and simmer again for 3 minutes to allow blending of flavors.
8) Take off the mixture from heat and then add in honey and lemon juice, mixing well.
9) Fluff the mixture with a fork and then keep aside covered until serving.
10) Garnish pilaf with fresh parsley and freshly cut red apple wedges, if desired and serve hot.