Carrot and Coriander Pilaf Salad
|Romaine lettuce head||1 Small|
|Olive oil||2 Tablespoon (Good Quality)|
|Minced garlic||1 Teaspoon|
|Coarsely chopped onion||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Ground coriander||1⁄4 Teaspoon (Plus 1/4 Teaspoon If Not Using Fresh)|
|Dried thyme||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Ground cumin||1⁄8 Teaspoon|
|Freshly ground pepper||1⁄8 Teaspoon|
|Converted white rice||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Chicken stock||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Chopped coriander/Flat leaf parsley||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
1) Rinse and pat dry carrots. Cut them coarsely and keep aside.
2) Wash and pat dry 4 large romaine leaves and put them in a plastic bag. Place in the refrigerator, till required. Reserve the remaining leaves.
3) Take a heavy gauge saucepan and place it over medium-high heat. Heat oil in it for about a minute.
4) Stir in chopped carrots, garlic, and onion and stir fry for about 2-3 minutes, until onion are tender and golden. Now, add ground coriander, thyme, cumin, pepper, and rice and cook for about 30 seconds, stirring constantly.
5) Lower the pan heat to medium-low and pour in the stock. Add salt and let the mixture simmer, uncovered for about 18-20 minutes, until rice is soft and the liquid is completely absorbed.
6) Now, transfer the rice into a large bowl and add coriander and parsley and toss to coat. Cover the bowl, loosely and allow to cool at room temperature.
7) Take 4 dinner plates and arrange romaine leaf on each plate and place salad on the leaves.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 985 Calories from Fat 330
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 37 g57.5%
Saturated Fat 5.9 g29.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 14.4 mg4.8%
Sodium 1878 mg78.2%
Total Carbohydrates 136 g45.2%
Dietary Fiber 13.4 g53.6%
Sugars 23.8 g
Protein 30 g60.1%
Vitamin A 1083% Vitamin C 175.2%
Calcium 57.1% Iron 67.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet