Barley Rice Pilaf
|Brown rice||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs), uncooked|
|Barley||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), uncooked|
|Sesame seeds||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Water/Stock||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Green peppers||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), chopped|
|Parsley bunch||1⁄4 Small|
|Rosemary||1⁄2 Teaspoon, crushed|
1. In a large stock pot or heavy bottomed saucepan, combine the rice, barley and sesame seeds and dry roast for 5 minutes, sautéing continuously till well toasted.
2. When the grains are toasted, pour in the water or stock and bring to a boil.
3. Reduce the heat to low, cover the pot and simmer the grains for almost 1 hour until soft.
4. When little water remains in the pot, add the peppers, oil, spices and tamari.
5. Continue simmering for a 5 more minutes until the flavors are absorbed.
6. Take the pot off the heat and cover the pot with a tight lid. Allow the grains to continue cooking in the steam.
7. Dish out into a serving dish or casserole dish with a cover.
8. Serve hot along with lentils or curry.