Brown Rice Spiced Pilaf
|Vegetable oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Blanched almonds||1 Tablespoon, flaked / chopped|
|Onion||1 , peeled and chopped|
|Carrot||1 , peeled and diced|
|Flat mushrooms||8 Ounce, thickly sliced (225 Gram)|
|Dried chile flakes||1 1⁄4 Pinch|
|Dried apricots||2 Ounce, roughly chopped (50 Gram)|
|Currants||1 Ounce (25 Gram)|
|Orange||1 , zested|
|Brown basmati rice||12 Ounce (350 Gram)|
|Vegetable stock||1 1⁄2 Pint (900 Milliliter)|
|Freshly chopped coriander||2 Tablespoon|
|Freshly snipped chives||2 Tablespoon|
|Freshly ground black pepper||To Taste|
|Snipped chives||1 Tablespoon (For Garnish)|
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C/ 400°F/Gas Mark 6. Heat the oil in a large flameproof casserole and add the almonds. Cook for 1—2 minutes until just browning. (Be very careful as the nuts will burn very easily).
2. Add the onion and carrot. Cook for 5 minutes until softened and starting to turn brown. Add the mushrooms and cook for a further 5 minutes, stirring often.
3. Add the cinnamon and chilli flakes and cook for about 30 seconds before adding the apricots, currants, orange zest and rice.
4. Stir together well and add the stock. Bring to the boil, cover tightly and transfer to the preheated oven. Cook for 45 minutes until the rice and vegetables are tender.
5. Stir the coriander and chives into the pilaf and season to taste with salt and pepper. Garnish with the extra chives and serve immediately.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 1011 Calories from Fat 244
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 28 g43.2%
Saturated Fat 2.9 g14.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 1830 mg76.3%
Total Carbohydrates 176 g58.5%
Dietary Fiber 24.4 g97.7%
Sugars 61.2 g
Protein 27 g54.2%
Vitamin A 332.6% Vitamin C 228.9%
Calcium 27.8% Iron 31.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet