Roast Suckling Pig
|Suckling pig||25 Pound|
|Stale bread||1 1⁄2 Pound, diced|
|Milk||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Apples||2 , sliced|
|Onions||2 , diced|
|Chopped parsley||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Potato/Salad oil||1 , melted|
|Melted lard/Salad oil||1 Tablespoon, melted|
|Whole apple||1 Small|
|Parsley sprigs/Small fruits and leaves||4|
1. Wipe pig, inside and out, with a clean damp cloth. Sprinkle entire cavity with salt and pepper. If necessary to make pig fit into pan (and oven) cut crosswise in half just behind shoulders.
2. Put bread into a large mixing bowl. Add milk and let soak 20 minutes. Add eggs, sliced apples, onion, and parsley; mix well.
3. Spoon stuffing into cavity of pig. (There will not be enough stuffing to fill cavity entirely.)
4. Use metal skewers to hold cavity closed and lace with string.
5. Set pig belly side down in roasting pan. Tuck feet under body. Cover tail, snout, and ears with foil. Place whole potato in mouth.
6. Roast at 375°F 8 to 10 hours. Baste frequently with melted lard. When pig is done, juices run golden and skin is a crackling, translucent, golden-chocolate brown.
7. Set pig on platter. Remove potato from mouth; replace with apple. Make a wreath of parsley sprigs for neck or to cover joint behind shoulders.
Calories 478 Calories from Fat 237
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 26 g40.4%
Saturated Fat 9.1 g45.5%
Trans Fat 0.2 g
Cholesterol 141 mg47%
Sodium 220.6 mg9.2%
Total Carbohydrates 10 g3.2%
Dietary Fiber 0.75 g3%
Sugars 1.6 g
Protein 48 g95.7%
Vitamin A 1.3% Vitamin C 3.3%
Calcium 7.9% Iron 10.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet