Chicken Pot Pie is truly described in its name – some cooked in a pot and then cooked in a pie shell. Chicken Pot Pie can be prepared from scratch and is big enough for a family. It will take about an hour, but very much tasty and believe me, it’s a complete nutritious meal in one pie shell.
Deep dish pie shells
2 Large, frozen (pre-packaged)
1 Large, grilled and cubed
16 Ounce (1 packet)
2 Cup (32 tbs)
Sharp cheddar cheese
3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs), shredded (optional)
1. Cook the vegetables as per package directions. Drain them and keep aside.
2. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
3. In a pan, melt the butter and add the flour to it. Keep on stiring to avoid any lumps.
4. Next add in the milk slowly and stir continuously as it comes it to a boil.
5. Let it cook for about 8-10 minutes till it thickens up to a soup like consistency.
6. Once it starts thickening up add in a little bit of white pepper, just enough for the flavouring.
7. Once it is ready, turn off the heat and add in the cheddar cheese and mix it up really well.
8. Add the cooked vegetables to the white sauce and give it a nice mix.
9. Add in the cubes of chicken and fold it in well.
10. Transfer the mixture to the pie shell and pat well.
11. Peel off the pie shell and place it on top of the of the pot pie mixture. Seal the two pie shells together with the help of a fork. You can use a little water to help the sealing. Make some incisions on the pie shell for venting.
12. Place the pie on a baking tray lined with foil to take care of any sort of spilling. Next cover the pie with the empty pie tin to avoid the crust from burning.
13. Bake covered for 30 minutes then uncover and bake for another 20 minutes.
14. Give it some standing time. Cut it into nice slices and it is ready to serve.
What better way to amp up your boring dinner nights than a luscious pot dish. Beryl Stokes shares with us the recipe of this classic comfort food, simple enough to enjoy at any night of the week. A little elaborate and time taking, but nevertheless worth it.