Cajun Style Chicken Pot Pie
|Deep dish pie shells||2 Large, frozen (pre-packaged)|
|Chicken breast||1 Large, grilled and cubed|
|Mixed vegetables||16 Ounce (1 packet)|
|Milk||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|White pepper||1 Teaspoon|
|Sharp cheddar cheese||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs), shredded (optional)|
1. Cook the vegetables as per package directions. Drain them and keep aside.
2. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
3. In a pan, melt the butter and add the flour to it. Keep on stiring to avoid any lumps.
4. Next add in the milk slowly and stir continuously as it comes it to a boil.
5. Let it cook for about 8-10 minutes till it thickens up to a soup like consistency.
6. Once it starts thickening up add in a little bit of white pepper, just enough for the flavouring.
7. Once it is ready, turn off the heat and add in the cheddar cheese and mix it up really well.
8. Add the cooked vegetables to the white sauce and give it a nice mix.
9. Add in the cubes of chicken and fold it in well.
10. Transfer the mixture to the pie shell and pat well.
11. Peel off the pie shell and place it on top of the of the pot pie mixture. Seal the two pie shells together with the help of a fork. You can use a little water to help the sealing. Make some incisions on the pie shell for venting.
12. Place the pie on a baking tray lined with foil to take care of any sort of spilling. Next cover the pie with the empty pie tin to avoid the crust from burning.
13. Bake covered for 30 minutes then uncover and bake for another 20 minutes.
14. Give it some standing time. Cut it into nice slices and it is ready to serve.