Shepherd's Pie With Mustard Greens
|Ground beef||1⁄2 Pound|
|Olive oil||1 1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|Broccoli raab||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs) (chopped)|
|Korean daikon radish||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs) (diced or chopped)|
|Mustard greens||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs) (leaves, chopped)|
|Carrots||2 (chopped, equivalent to 1 cup)|
|Cabbage||1 Cup (16 tbs) (chopped)|
|Roasted garlic||4 1⁄2 Clove (22.5 gm) (mashed)|
|Chili powder||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Smoked paprika||1⁄2 Teaspoon (plus more for topping)|
|Balsamic vinegar||1 Tablespoon|
|Dijon mustard||1 Teaspoon|
|Water||1 Cup (16 tbs) (add 1/4 cup more if needed)|
|Cheese||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (grated, additional 1/2 cup if needed)|
1. Pre-heat oven to 350F.
2. In an ovenproof skillet, cook beef. Drain (wipe out pan, if desired) and set aside.
3. Add olive oil to skillet and let it get hot. Add all veggies and seasonings except mustard greens and garlic. Cook over medium heat for 10 minutes, or until veggies are tender.
1. Whisk cornstarch with water, dijon, balsamic vinegar, and garlic.
2. Pour over veggies. Stir in beef and mustard greens, and cook for 10 minutes over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally. If the liquid evaporates too much, add more water.
3. Remove from heat. Taste, and adjust seasonings if needed.
4. Spread the meat and veggies evenly in the pan (if you weren’t cooking in an oven safe skillet, now’s the time to transfer to a greased, ovenproof dish.)
5. Cover meat mixture with mashed potatoes. Top with cheese and sprinkle with smoked paprika.
6. Bake at 350F until the potatoes are hot (165F) and cheese is melted. With fresh, hot mashed potatoes, it should only be 10-15 minutes. With cold potatoes, it could be about 30-40 minutes (at least it was for me!).
1. Once potatoes are hot, remove from oven and serve.
Individual pies would also be a fun idea, especially for a dinner party! Great with a simple Green Salad, or Coleslaw.
**To roast garlic: Slice the top off a head of garlic. Drizzle with olive oil and wrap in foil. Bake at 350F for 45-60 minutes. Once it’s cool, squeeze garlic from skin.