This is from our Gran who lived her life in Arkansas... Whipping the egg whites gives this pie a very light & airy texture.
Pureed sweet potato
Light brown sugar
3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs), packed
2 , separated
3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)
1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)
Cream of tartar
1 (unbaked 9-inch deep dish)
1 Cup (16 tbs), toasted
1 Tablespoon (cane or sorghum)
Whipped cream fresh
1. Preheat oven to 350 degree F.
2. Place a skillet on heat, and toast pecans until fragrant.
3. In a large bowl, combine pureed sweet potato, brown sugar, butter, egg yolk, and cream.
4. Drop vanilla, ginger, cinnamon, and nutmeg in it. Mix well.
5. In a separate bowl, mix egg whites and cream of tartar. Blend until foamy.
6. Drop sugar and blend until stiff peaks form.
7. Transfer egg white mixture into the large bowl. Fold to combine.
8. Into pie shell, transfer the mixture.
9. Sprinkle toasted pecan on top.
10. Drizzle maple syrup, and pop it in the oven. Bake for 55-60 minutes or until set. Remove from the oven and let it cool completely.
11. Cut into pieces, and serve pie topped with fresh whipped cream.