Rosalie's Sweet Potato Pie with Marshmallow Meringue
|Pie crust mix||11 Ounce (Betty Crocker Brand)|
|For the filling|
|Sweet potatoes||3 Cup (48 tbs), mash|
|Melted butter||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Brown sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Cinnamon powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Nutmeg powder||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Vanilla essence||1 Teaspoon|
|Half and half||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Lemon juice||1 Teaspoon|
|Orange rind||1 Tablespoon|
|For the pecan crumble|
|Flour||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Brown sugar||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Pecan||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs), chopped finely|
|For the marshmallow meringue|
|Egg whites||3 Large|
|Cream of tartar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Sugar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Vanilla essence||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Marshmallow creme||7 Ounce|
1. First separate the egg yolks from the whites and in a large mixing bowl whip the egg whites until stiff and firm, keep it aside.
2. Make firm dough by using the crust mix ingredients and line the baking dish with the pie crust.
3. Boil 3 large potatoes for 20 minutes, peel and mash the potatoes.
4. Preheat oven at 350 degree F.
5. In a stand mixer bowl add all the ingredients for the filling leaving aside the half and half. Blend for 5 minute and then add the half & half, lemon juice & zested orange rind.
6. Once done fold in the egg whites and mix all the ingredients together, Pour the filling mixture in the lined pie dish and keep it aside
7. In a small bowl mix all ingredients for the pecan crumble you can use your fingers or pastry blender to mix, once done spread the pecan crumble over the filling and bake in the preheated oven for 50 – 60 minutes.
8. Once the potato pie is ready keep it aside to cool, and then start on the marshmallow meringue.
9. In a stand mixer bowl add the egg whites, cream of tartar, vanilla essence, part of the sugar and blend. After that gradually add the remaining sugar and marshmallow crème around one third at a time.
10. Spread the marshmallow meringue on top of the potato pie and bake for further 15 minute at 350 degree.
11. Serve a nice slice of delicious Sweet Potato Pie with Marshmallow Meringue along with a nice hot cup of coffee, tea or milk.
After 30 minutes of baking, you can cover the top of the crumble with foil to avoid it from burning.
Calories 1154 Calories from Fat 461
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 53 g81.4%
Saturated Fat 19.9 g99.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 166.9 mg55.6%
Sodium 692.1 mg28.8%
Total Carbohydrates 161 g53.7%
Dietary Fiber 5 g20%
Sugars 93.8 g
Protein 14 g28.1%
Vitamin A 229.3% Vitamin C 10.3%
Calcium 14.4% Iron 20.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet