Homemade Blueberry Pie
|For the pie crust:|
|All purpose flour||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Unsalted butter||8 Ounce, cold|
|Rendered bacon fat/Butter||4 Ounce|
|Cold water||8 Tablespoon|
|For the filling:|
|Blueberries||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|All purpose flour||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Lemon zest||2 Tablespoon|
|Lemons||2 Medium, juiced|
|Ground cinnamon||1 Teaspoon|
|Ground nutmeg||1 Teaspoon|
|For the egg wash:|
|Egg yolk||1 Medium|
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees fahrenheit.
2. For the Dough: In a food processor, process flour, sugar and salt until combined.
3. Next, add in the butter and bacon fat and process until the fat is the size of a small pea.
4. At this point add in 1 tablespoon of cold water at a time until the dough moistens up.
5. Next, sprinkle on some flour to a cutting board and place the pie dough on the floured surface.
6. Form two dough balls from the pie dough with overworking.
7. Once formed, chill immediately in the refrigerator over night or in the freezer for 30 minutes.
8. Once it is chilled, sprinkle more flour onto a surface and roll out the dough balls until they are large enough to fill up a 9 inch pie tin.
9. Lay down one of the rolled out dough balls into the pie tin and set the other aside.
10. For the Filling: In a large bowl, mix together blueberries, sugar, flour, lemon zest, lemon juice, cinnamon, nutmeg until thoroughly combined.
11. Once mixed, place in the pie tin with the dough in it.
12. Cover the pie with the other rolled out dough ball and trip around off any access dough.
13. For the Egg Wash: In a small bowl, whisk together egg yolk and water.
14. Using a pastry brush, completely brush the top of the pie dough that is covering the blueberry filling.
15. Cut four slits into the pie dough and lastly sprinkle on some sugar in the raw all over the top of the pie dough.
16. Place the pie in the freezer and let it rest for 20 minutes.
17. After 20 minutes, pop the pie to bake in the oven for 20 minutes to brown the crust.
18. Once crust is brown, turn the heat down to 375° and cook for a further 25 minutes.
19. Once cooked, remove from the heat and let cool completely on a rack.
20. Once cooled, cut out slices, plate, add whipped cream and mint leaf for garnish and serve as dessert.