1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit.
2. For the Pie Dough: In a large bowl, cut together butter, shortening, salt, sugar and flour until the fat is the size of small peas.
3. Slowly drizzle in water until the dough is formed and chill in the refrigerator for 20 minutes.
4. After chilling role out the dough 1/8 inch thick on a floured surface.
5. Once the dough is rolled out, form it to a tart pan and remove any hanging over access dough.
6. Next, dock the dough with a fork and place some parchment paper in the center of the dough with some dry black beans to help keep the dough flat.
7. Par bake on 350° for 15 minutes.
8. Once par-baked, remove from the oven and discard the parchment and beans.
9. For the Tomato Filling: Add the sliced tomatoes to a colander and lightly salt to drain some of the liquid.
10. In a pan, saute the sliced onions for 15 to 20 minutes on medium high heat with unsalted butter until caramelized.
11. Once the onions are brown, add in garlic and saute for 2 to 3 minutes and then turn the heat to off.
12. For the Cheese Mixture: In a large bowl mix together shredded cheeses and mayonnaise and set aside.
13. Layer the tomatoes on the par baked pie crust.
14. Top with the sauteed onions, basil and garlic.
15. Next, add another layer of tomatoes, onions, and herbs.
16. Top off the layered pie with the shredded cheese and mayonnaise mixture to cover the tomatoes are completely.
17. Top off with remaining herbs.
18. Bake at 350° for 30 to 40 minutes or until the cheese begins to turn brown.