Today I'm making Shepherdless Pie. This vegetarian (and even vegan, if you omit or substitute the milk and butter) dish is super low in carbs thanks to the mashed cauliflower topping in place of traditional potato. It's about 220 calories a serving which makes for a healthy, filling, hearty meal, perfect for a week-night!
500 Gram, cooked
White cabbage head
3 Clove (15 gm)
1. Start off by cutting away any stalk and leaves from the cauliflower.
2. Bring a large pan of water to the boil and break the cauliflower apart into large florets.
3. Place the florets into the boiling water, cover and cook until you can slide a fork easily through the florets - this will usually take about 10 minutes.
4. Take your quarter head of cabbage and shred it using a mandoline.
5. Peel and finely slice the onion and garlic.
6. In a large pan, heat the olive oil.
7. Add in the onion and garlic and fry lightly for a couple of minutes before adding in the shredded cabbage, cumin, and cayenne pepper and continuing to fry, stirring well, for another 5 minutes.
8. Add in the lentils and tinned tomatoes. Rinse out the tin with a bit of fresh water and add this in to the pan as well.
9. Mix well and bring the water and tomatoes to a simmer. Stir the pot regularly and leave it simmering away, uncovered, until the water has evaporated a little and the mixture has thickened up.
10. Transfer the contents of the pot into a large oven-safe dish and smooth out to form a layer.
11. Drain the cauliflower and then add in the milk and butter and using an immersion blender, purée the cauliflower to something resembling mashed potato. If you find the "mash" very watery then you may want to heat the pan on the stove, stirring well to evaporate some of the water.
12. Season the mash with salt and pepper to taste and then transfer into the oven-safe dish, on top of the cabbage and lentils. Smooth out to form an even layer.
13. Place the dish into the oven on the grill or broiler setting and cook until the topping is golden brown.
14. Remove from the oven and serve immediately. Enjoy!