Roasted Chicken Pot Pie
|Chicken thighs||8 Medium|
|Olive oil||1 Tablespoon (FOR ROASTING CHICKEN)|
|Salt||1 Teaspoon (FOR ROASTING CHICKEN)|
|Pepper||1 Teaspoon (to taste)|
|Garlic cloves||6 Large, smashed (FOR ROASTING CHICKEN)|
|Thyme sprigs||6 Medium (FOR ROASTING CHICKEN)|
|Lemon||1 Large, sliced (FOR ROASTING CHICKEN)|
|Chicken stock||4 Cup (64 tbs)|
|Carrot||1 Large, cut into small sticks|
|Asparagus spears||10 Medium, cut into 2 inch pieces|
|Green beans||10 Medium, cut into 2 inch pieces|
|Frozen peas||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), thawed|
|Rendered fat||3 Tablespoon (from roasted chicken FOR GRAVY)|
|Flour||2 Tablespoon (FOR GRAVY)|
|Parsley||2 Tablespoon, chopped|
|Puff pastry sheet||1 Medium, thawed|
|Egg||1 Medium (to brush the pie)|
|Water||2 Teaspoon (to brush the pie)|
1. Heat oven to 425 degrees.
2. Rinse and pat dry 6 chicken thighs.
3. Take a cast iron pan or roasting pan and place chicken.
4. Drizzle with olive oil and season generously with salt and pepper – on both sides.
5. Scatter garlic cloves, thyme sprigs and lemon around the pan.
6. Place in oven and roast chicken for about 35 minutes.
7. Thaw ½ cup of peas.
8. While the chicken is roasting, bring 4 cups of chicken stock to a boil.
9. Add carrot and cook for 2 minutes. Remove carrots from pot and place in a bowl of ice water.
10. Put quartered asparagus spears and cook for 1 minute. Remove from stock and place in bowl with carrots.
11. Add green beans. Cook for 2 minutes and remove. Place in the ice water with the other vegetables. Set chicken stock aside.
12. Remove chicken from oven when it is cooked.
13. Reduce heat to 375 degrees.
14. Cool down a bit and discard lemon slices, garlic and thyme. Get rid of the chicken skins and shred the meat as soon as it cools enough to handle.
15. Thaw a puff pastry sheet at room temperature.
16. Discard all but 3 TBS of the chicken rendered fat in the pan.
17. Heat the pan and add flour. Mix flour and fat well, making sure to scrape the brown bits from the bottom of the pan.
18. Cook, stirring, for 3 minutes and whisk in the remaining chicken stock. Whisk vigorously until all lumps disappear.
19. Bring gravy to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes until sauce is thick and reduced by 1/3.
20. Drain cooked vegetables and place in a bowl with the chicken. Add the peas.
21. Gently fold in the gravy. Season with pepper and add chopped parsley.
22. Place chicken and veggies in a pie or tart pan. Cover with rolled out puff pastry. Don’t cover it too tightly as the dough will shrink. Make small slits on top.
23. Beat an egg with a splash of water and brush top of pie.
24. Bake pie for 30 minutes.
25. In a serving plate, slice the pie and serve hot.