Here's a great and easy key lime pie recipe. My only issue is that it is very very sweet, but I've been told by several people that these pies can be very sweet. What I really like about this recipe is that it contains no eggs - if you use whipped cream, instead of meringue, then it is egg-free! Remember to visit www.TheAubergineChef.com to download this recipe for free, see more free how-to baking and pastry videos, and to read a blog full of helpful tips and fun anecdotes! Thank you for watching!
Sweetened condensed milk
34 Ounce (3 Cups)
Key lime juice
6 Ounce, freshly squeezed (3/4 Cup)
1 Medium (9 - inch)
5 Large (for Meringue Topping)
6 Ounce (for Meringue Topping)
1) Preheat the oven to 350 to 400°F.
2) Line a pie tin with the pie dough, dock it lightly by poking lots of holes in the shell with a fork. Then place a coffee filter on top of the your pie dough. This will act as parchment paper. Place a pie tin of the same size on top of the of coffee filter lined pie dough. Fill the layered pie tin with something to weigh it down slightly such as an empty ramekin.
3) Bake in the preheated oven for about 8 to 10 minutes just until the pie shell is done.
4) In a large bowl, whisk the sweetened condensed milk, sour cream, lime juice, and lime zest together.
5) Pour the mixture into the prepared pie crust.
6) Bake at 350°F for 5 to 8 minutes or tiny pinhole bubbles form on the surface. Do not allow to brown.
7) Chill the pie completely for 1 to 2 hours or overnight.
8) Meringue Topping : In a mixer bowl wiped with vinegar, combine the sugar and the egg whites and whip to medium to stiff peaks.
9) Top the pie with meringue topping and lightly brown the meringue with a torch.
10) Chill the Key Lime Pie for an hour or overnight, slice and serve.