Tofu Pot Pie with Mashed Potato Topping
|Potatoes||4 Large, peeled, cut into cubes (For Mashed Potato Topping)|
|Rice milk||2 Tablespoon (For Mashed Potato Topping)|
|Non-hydrogenated margarine||2 Tablespoon (For Mashed Potato Topping)|
|Tofu||12 Ounce, pressed (For Pie Filling)|
|Celery stalk||1 Tablespoon, diced (For Pie Filling)|
|Onion||1 Small, chopped (For Pie Filling)|
|Frozen mixed vegetables||2 Cup (32 tbs), thawed (For Pie Filling)|
|Chickpea flour||1 Tablespoon (For Pie Filling)|
|Vegetable stock||8 Ounce (For Pie Filling)|
|Poultry seasoning||1 Teaspoon (For Pie Filling)|
|Frozen whole wheat pie crust||1 Large (a 9-inch crust)|
|Salt||1 Teaspoon (or to taste)|
|Cracked black pepper||1 Teaspoon (or to taste)|
1. Steam potatoes for 15 minutes or until soft
2. Mash cooked potatoes in a bowl with the margarine, rice milk, salt and pepper. Set aside until filling is prepared.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
3. Place the frozen pie crust in the preheated oven and bake for 5 to 7 minutes, remove from oven and set aside to cool.
4. To make the pie filling, in a skillet, stir fry the tofu, celery, onion, poultry seasoning and frozen vegetables for about 10 minutes.
5. Make a space in the pan and add the garbanzo flour and toast it for 30 seconds, then add the veggie broth and mix all ingredients together, stirring constantly until the gravy thickens. About 1 minute
6. Fill the pie crust will the tofu, veggies and gravy.
7. Spread the mashed potatoes over the pie filling, and score with a fork. If you like, baste the top with a little extra melted margarine.
8. Bake for 30 minutes or until the crust and some of the mash potatoes are browned.
9. Cut into portions and serve piping hot with a green salad on the side.
To press the tofu take a firm block and place it between two cutting boards set on an angle allowing the excess tofu water to drain. Place something heavy on top of the cutting board to help press out the extra water. Allow to drain for 20 minutes.
Calories 899 Calories from Fat 348
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 39 g59.7%
Saturated Fat 9.8 g49.2%
Trans Fat 0.4 g
Cholesterol 0.33 mg0.11%
Sodium 1068.4 mg44.5%
Total Carbohydrates 124 g41.4%
Dietary Fiber 13.6 g54.3%
Sugars 6.1 g
Protein 20 g39.6%
Vitamin A 82.9% Vitamin C 115.9%
Calcium 13.4% Iron 39.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet