This sweet and creamy, old-fashioned pie looks so impressive and is easy to make. Vickie & Jo Ann show you step by step!
Sweetened flaked coconut
1 Cup (16 tbs)
1 Medium, baked, cooled (9-inch pie crust)
1 Cup (16 tbs)
1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)
3 Medium, beaten
2 1⁄4 Cup (36 tbs)
1 1⁄2 Teaspoon, divided (1 teaspoon for coconut 1/2 for meringue)
For the meringue
Cream of tartar
1. Preheat the oven to 325 F.
2. In the pie crust, sprinkle the flaked coconut in the base and set aside.
3. In a bowl, mix together sugar and cornstarch.
4. In a medium saucepan over high heat, place the egg yolks and add in sugar mixture and milk little at a time and whisk after each addition until it forms a smooth.
5. Place the pan on medium-high heat and allow to cook stirring continuously until the mixture thickens for about 10 to 15 minutes.
6. Take the pan off the heat and stir in vanilla and pour over coconut in crust.
7. In a deep bowl, place the egg whites and beat using an electric mixer on high speed until soft peaks form.
8. Reduce the speed and add in cream of tartar,
9. While still beating, slowly add in 1 tablespoon of sugar at a time and beat until stiff.
10. Add in ½ teaspoon of vanilla and stir to mix.
11. Spoon the meringue over hot egg yolk filling, spreading well to seal edge of crust.
12. Bake in oven for 10 to 15 minutes or until meringue is lightly golden,
13. Remove from oven and allow to cool.
14. Cut in wedges and serve as desired.
You can also try Banana cream pie, chocolate chiffon mile high pie, or any other flavour of your choice.