Dave Lilja shares his favorite recipe from his cookbook, ‘Mr. Mom's Favorite Family Meals'. He is making his Buffalo Shepherd Pie.
Buffalo meat/Extra lean ground beef
1 Pound, ground
1 Medium, broken into small florets
Nostick cooking spray
1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs), sliced (or peas)
Cracked black pepper
Non fat milk/Half and half
1 Cup (16 tbs)
1 Cup (16 tbs), shredded
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degree F
2. In a pot, bring water to a boil and add cauliflower broken into florets. Boil until soft. Drain and let cool slightly.
3. Heat a large skillet over medium high and brown the ground buffalo meat well.
4. Spray a casserole with cooking spray or grease with oil and turn the browned meat into it. Spread evenly.
5. Top with carrots (or broccoli or peas) and season with salt, pepper and basil
6. When the cauliflower has cooled slightly, mash with potato masher. Season with salt and pepper and add milk. Cream until smooth and creamy like mashed potatoes.
7. Spread the mash over the meat in the casserole.
8. Scatter cheese evenly on top.
9. Cover and bake for 25 minutes.
10. Take the casserole straight from the oven to the dinner table and spoon the shepherd's pie onto dinner plates.
What's for Dinner!?! This is a question that is heard in every house around the world! To help answer that question Mr. Mom, Dave Lilja, a stay-at-home dad who had to deal with that question all the time, shows us how easy it is to come up with easy, nutritious and delicious dinners on the table! This shepherd’s pie is a favorite family meal. You will never have to hear “oh-not-not again” when you put the casserole of meat and cauliflower on the table! Buffalo meat is 95% leaner than ground beef and caulifl