1) Peel and cut apples into 1.4 inch slices. Squeeze lemon juice over to prevent browning.
2) For the caramel sauce, place a small pot over med-low heat. Add in the sugar and water and without stirring, allow it to come to a boil and turn a caramel color.
3) Once it is caramel colored, turn off heat and add heavy cream. Once the bubbles subside, place back on a low heat and add in the vanilla extract.
4) Allow to sit on a low heat till ready to use.
5) Toss apples with flour and cinnamon and put into a pie pan with a layer of crust on the bottom.
6) Pour caramel sauce all over the apples and dot with the butter.
7) Put 2nd piece of dough over the top and brush on egg wash and 2 tablespoons of sugar.
8) Cook at 350 degrees for 45-55 minutes until golden brown.
9) Let sit at room temp 1-4 hours before serving.