Homemade Crust Lattice Topped Spiced Blueberry Pie - Part 1
|Blueberries/Frozen blueberries||1 Quart|
|Lemon juice||2 Tablespoon|
|Sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Flour||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Ground cloves||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|For pie crust|
|Flour||2 Cup (32 tbs), sifted|
|Vegetable shortening||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs) (Butter Flavored)|
|Cold water||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (4 Tablespoons)|
To prepare the pie crust:
1. Combine flour and salt. Cut in shortening with pastry blender till it looks like peas.
2. Stir in water with a fork, 1 tablespoon at a time, just till dough comes together.
3. Cover with cling film and refrigerate for a while.
4. Preheat the oven to 425 degree F
5. Divide dough in half. Roll out half of dough on floured cloth with covered rolling pin, until larger than pie pan.
6. Fold dough in half with cloth, transfer to pie pan.
7. To make the pie filling, toss blueberries with lemon juice. Combine flour, sugar, spices. Mix with blueberries.
8. Place mixture in unbaked pie shell. Dot with butter.
9. Roll out 2nd half of pie dough. Cut into ½-inch strips with fluted rolling cutter.
10. Lay strips across pie in 1 direction, leaving about ½-inch between.
11. Fold every other strip back half way. Lay 1 strip across perpendicular to original strips and fold strips back. Continue folding back alternate strips and laying a strip across perpendicular to the original strips until lattice top is woven.
12. Cut off excess dough, leaving 1 inch beyond pie plate edge.
13. Fold dough in half, forming a rim around edge. Press between palm of one hand and side of index finger of other hand. Pinch edge of pastry around index finger of one hand with thumb and forefinger of other hand to flute.
14. Bake in preheated oven for about 1 hour or longer ) or until juices in middle of pie are bubbling. You can cover pie with square of aluminum foil with center circle torn out to prevent edge from burning.
15. Remove and let cool.
16. Serve the pie warm or cold with ice-cream if you like.
To make baked pie shell: Make 1/2 recipe. Roll out dough. Place in pie plate. Flute edges. Pierce dough with fork. Bake at 400º F for 5-8 min.