Homemade Lemon Meringue Pie
|All purpose flour||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Crisco||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Baking powder||1 Pinch|
|Water||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Hot water||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Juice of lemon||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Lemon juice||1 Teaspoon|
1. Preheat the oven to 420 degree F.
2. To make the crust combine flour and Crisco in food processor, and pulse until coarse crumbs form.
3. Add baking soda and salt to food processor and with food processor running add water.
4. Mix dough just until combined.
5. Turn out dough onto lightly floured surface, roll out and place into 9 inch pie plate.
6. Prick pie crust with fork, cover with foil and add pie weights.
7. Bake at in the preheated oven for 10 min.
8. To make the lemon curd separate eggs and whisk egg yolks until slightly foamy and set aside.
9. In a heavy saucepan combine sugar, cornstarch, salt and water.
10. Cook over medium high heat for 6 to 8 minutes, stirring constantly, until thickened and clear.
11. Remove from heat.
12. Add 1/4 cup of hot mixture to egg yolks stir to combine and then add back into hot mixture.
13. Cook on Low for 6 minutes while stirring constantly.
14. Remove from heat and stir in lemon juice and butter.
15. To make the meringue combine egg whites and lemon juice in a bowl and beat until foamy.
16. Add sugar to foamy egg whites one tablespoon at a time.
17. Beat until smooth glossy peaks form.
18. Add lemon curd to par-baked crust, top with meringue making sure that meringue touches the crust all the way around.
19. Bake at 400 degrees F for 7 to 10 minutes until peaks of meringue are browned.
20. Take it out and let it cool.
21. Serve warm or chilled.