How to Make Pie Crust - Pie Crust
|All purpose flour||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Cold butter||4 Ounce, cut into small pieces|
|Ice cold water||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (as required)|
1. In a cold bowl or a cold flat surface put the flour, sugar and salt, mix it well. Add the cold butter pieces into it and using a fork cut it in. Keep mining it in till it resembles coarse cornmeal.
2. Slowly add water 1 tablespoon at a time and continue to mix using the fork. Mix till it forms a dough, do not over mix. Knead it once or twice and once it comes together stop kneading.
3. Sprinkle flour on the surface, put the dough and beat it a few times with the rolling pin. Roll the dough into 1/8 inch sheet. Always roll the dough about 2 inches more than required (i.e. for a 9 inch pie pan, roll the dough to at least 11 inches).
4. Place the rolling pin close to the dough sheet and fold it around the pin.
5. Put it into the pie pan and press gently to shape it like the pan. Do not stretch the dough. Cut off the extra edges (if more than 2 inches)and fold the dough 2 inches inwards and pinch it with the fingers to form a good pattern.
6. Use this pie crust to make a pie of your choice. For apple pie double the recipe for top and bottom crusts.
Calories 213 Calories from Fat 136
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 16 g23.9%
Saturated Fat 9.7 g48.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 40.6 mg13.5%
Sodium 271.1 mg11.3%
Total Carbohydrates 16 g5.4%
Dietary Fiber 0.56 g2.3%
Sugars 0.5 g
Protein 2 g4.6%
Vitamin A 9.4% Vitamin C
Calcium 0.8% Iron 5.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet