Steak And Kidney Pie
|Stewing steak||1 Pound (12 Ounces)|
|Lamb kidney/Sheep kidney / ox kidney-4 ounces||2|
|Pepper||1 1⁄2 Pinch (Good Pinch)|
|All-purpose flour||1 Teaspoon (Leveled)|
|Water/Stock||1 Cup (16 tbs) (As Needed)|
|Short crust pastry/Flaky pastry||6 Ounce|
|Milk||1 Cup (16 tbs) (As Needed, To Glaze)|
1) Cut the steak and kidney into small pieces.
2) Season flour and roll meat in it.
3) Place a pie stand or egg cup in the centre of dish to support pastry.
4) Evenly distribute meat in the pie dish and pour enough water or stock to cover halfway.
5) Roll out the pastry and cover the pie. Apply a coat of milk.
6) With the leftover of the pastry, make leaves and roses to decorate pie.
7) To make leaves, roll out the pastry to a strip, then cut leaf shapes (approximately diamond), marking the 'veins' with the point of a knife.
8) To make roses, cut a narrow strip, then roll this round, and with your finger-tips depress at intervals to give a petal shape.
9) Sticking the leaves and rose over the top and then make a tiny slit in the pastry over the pie support to allow the steam to escape.
10) Now, bake in the centre of a hot oven at 425-450 degrees or gas mark 6-7 for about 25 minutes. Let it rise then, cover it with paper.
11) Decrease heat to 325-350 degrees or gas mark 3-4 for about 1 ½ hours
12) Serve steak and kidney pudding hot.
For a steak and mushroom pie, use the recipe above but add 6 oz. mushrooms and omit the kidneys.