Cottage Pie With Minced Beef
|Onion||1 , peeled and chopped|
|Carrots||2 , scraped and coarsley grated|
|Mushrooms||50 Gram, cleaned and chopped|
|Brown stock/Water and 1/2 beef stock cube||300 Milliliter (Hot)|
|Freshly ground black pepper||To Taste|
|Old potatoes||750 Gram, peeled and quartered, if large|
|Corn flour||10 Milliliter (for thickening)|
1) Arrange the ingredients.
2) In a cooker, melt the lard or margarine.
3) Fry the onion until it begins to soften, add the carrots and mushrooms and cook for a few more minutes.
4) Carefully lift the vegetables out of the cooker and drain well.
5) Brown the minced beef in the hot lard or margarine and then carefully dram the excess lard or margarine from the cooker.
6) to the cooker, add the hot stock or water and stock cube, and stir well to remove any residues from the base of the cooker.
7) Add salt, pepper and the vegetables to the beef.
8) Cover the beef with the trivet.
9) Place the lightly salted potatoes in a separator (if this is perforated line first with a piece of aluminium foil or greaseproof paper).
10) Stand the separator on the trivet.
11) Place lid to close the cookerr, bring to high pressure on a medium heat and cook for 6 minutes.
12) Reduce the pressure quickly.
13) Lift out the potatoes, transfer to a basin and mash with butter, salt, pepper and a little milk until they are smooth and creamy.
14) Return the open cooker to the heat and add the cornflour blended with a little water.
15) Cook, stirring constantly, until thickened.
16) Taste and adjust the seasoning as necessary.
17) Transfer the meat to a 1.2 litre/2 pint flameproof dish.
18) Top with the mashed potato, marking a pattern on the top with a fork.
19) Brown under a hot grill.
20) Serve the cottage pie with a green vegetable.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 2409 Calories from Fat 1124
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 126 g193.6%
Saturated Fat 46.2 g231.1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 388 mg129.3%
Sodium 2504.6 mg104.4%
Total Carbohydrates 199 g66.2%
Dietary Fiber 23.1 g92.4%
Sugars 23.4 g
Protein 128 g255%
Vitamin A 420.6% Vitamin C 277.3%
Calcium 20% Iron 94.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet