Frosted Apple Pie
|Piecrust mix||11 Ounce (1 Package)|
|Granulated sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Ground cinnamon||1 Teaspoon|
|Ground nutmeg||1⁄8 Teaspoon|
|Tart cooking apples||2 1⁄2 Pound, pared, thinly sliced to make 7 cups|
|Lemon juice||2 Tablespoon|
|Butter/Margarine||2 Tablespoon, cut in pieces|
|Egg yolk||1 , slightly beaten|
|Confectioners sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Light corn syrup||1 Tablespoon|
|Vanilla extract||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Chopped walnuts||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
1) Preheat oven to 425F.
2) In a bowl, make the piecrust mix as instructed on package label.
3) Make a ball of piecrust mix, divide in two and shape each part into a ball.
4) With palm of your hand fatten each dough ball.
5) Lightly flour the working board or pastry cloth with flour.
6) Roll 1 dough ball over the floured surface into 12-inch round.
7) Line a 9-inch pie plate, with the rolled dough , refrigerate until chilled.
8) Preheat the oven to 425F.
9) In a bowl, mix together granulated sugar, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt.
10) In another bowl, stir the apple with the lemon juice.
11) Mix the sugar mixture with the apples and toss lightly to mix.
12) Roll the remaining pastry into 12-inch round and fold in quarters.
13) Make slits in the rolled dough for steam vents.
14) Transfer the apple mixture into lined pie plate, mounding high in center.
15) Mark the apples with butter.
16) Trim the dough hanging over edge of pastry so it measures 1/2 inch from rim of pie plate.
17) Gently place the folded pastry so that point is at the center of filling, and unfold.
18) Trim the dough hanging over edge of pastry so it measures 1 inch from all round.
19) Using scissors, trim overhanging edge of pastry (for top crust) so it measures 1 inch from edge all around.
20) Gently press the edges together to seal, (moisten the edges if required) so juices won't run out. Press upright to form a standing rim. Crimp edge.
21) In a cup, beat the egg yolk with 1 tablespoon of water.
22) Lightly apply the yolk mixture over the surface of the pastry, with a pastry brush.
23) Bake in the oven for 45 to 50 minutes, or until apple is tender and crust gets golden in colour.
24) Take the pan out of the oven and place on rack to cool 30 minutes.
25) In a bowl, blend together confectioners' sugar, corn syrup, 1 tablespoon water and the vanilla and stir until smooth.
26) Smear the frosting over pie and dredge with nuts and serve.
Calories 635 Calories from Fat 97
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 11 g16.9%
Saturated Fat 3.3 g16.6%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 41.6 mg13.9%
Sodium 315.3 mg13.1%
Total Carbohydrates 126 g41.9%
Dietary Fiber 6.4 g25.5%
Sugars 74.1 g
Protein 8 g16.8%
Vitamin A 3.3% Vitamin C 446.8%
Calcium 13.6% Iron 32.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet