Microwave Cooked Lime Pie
|9 inch pie shell||1 , microwaved|
|Sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Cornstarch||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Water||1 Cup (16 tbs), divided|
|Egg yolks||3 , slightly beaten|
|Lime juice||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Green food color||3 Drop|
|Cream of tartar||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
1) Arrange the ingredients and prepare them for cooking.
2) In mixing bowl or 1 1/2 to 2-qt casserole, add sugar, cornstarch, salt and 1/4 cup water.
3) Add remaining water.
Microwave at High 5 1/2 to 6 minutes, or until thickened and clear, stirring every 2 minutes.
4) Mix a small amount of hot mixture into egg yolks.
5) Blend into remaining hot mixture.
6) Microwave at High 1 minute.
7) Add butter, juice and coloring.
8) Let it cool slightly; pour into shell.
9) In a small mixing bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar until soft mounds form.
10) Add sugar, a tablespoon at a time, continuing to beat until stiff peaks form.
11) Spread over filling, sealing to crust edge.
12) Sprinkle lightly with graham cracker crumbs, if desired.
13) Reduce power to 50% (Medium).
14) Microwave 3 to 6 minutes, or until meringue is set, rotating 1/2 turn after half the time.
15) Keep in refrigerator.
16) Serve the pie either cold or warm cut into pieces.