Herring and Tomato Pie
|Canned herrings in tomato sauce||6 Ounce (1 Medium Can)|
|White sauce||1⁄2 Pint|
|Finely chopped onion||1 Ounce|
|Cooked mashed potato||1 Pound|
1) Preheat the oven to 375°F.
2) Drain the herrings and reserve the liquor.
3) In a bowl, stir the herring liquid into the white sauce.
4) Stir in the chopped onion, salt and pepper to taste.
5) Bone the herrings and mash the flesh with a fork.
6) Stir the fish into the sauce and mix thoroughly.
7) In an ovenproof dish, transfer the mixture and pipe over the mashed potato.
8) Bake in the preheated oven on centre shelf for 15 minutes.
9) Serve the Herring and Tomato Pie straight from the oven.