|Streaky bacon||1⁄2 Pound|
|Onion||1 Large, finely chopped|
|Mushroom||6 , chopped|
|Chopped herbs||2 Tablespoon|
|Red wine||1⁄2 Pint|
|Frozen puff pastry||1|
|Egg||1 , beaten|
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degree Fahrenheit, 180 degree Celsius.
2. Cut off the meat from the grouse, cut the steak in small pieces and dice the bacon.
3. Keep the puff pastry at room temperature to defrost.
4. In a pie dish arrange the meats in layers with onion, mushroom, herbs and seasoning between each layer.
5. Pour the red wine and enough stock so that it barely covers the meat.
6. Cover with aluminium foil and bake it in the preheated oven for 1 - 1 1/2 hours or until the meat is tender.
7. Take it out and allow it to cool completely.
8. Roll out the puff pastry so that it is 1 1/4 times the size of the pie dish and cut out a strip to stick around edge of the dish, moistened with water.
9. Moisten the pastry strip around the edge and place a large piece of pastry on top.
10. Press together the edges properly, cut off any surplus pastry which is hanging and crimp the edges.
11. Cut slashes on the top for the steam to escape and decorate with pastry leaves cut out from the extra pastry.
12. Brush the top with egg, increase the oven temperature to 400 degree Fahrenheit, 200 degree Celsius and put into the oven to bake for about 30 minutes or until the top is nice and golden brown in colour.
13. It can be served hot or cold with a crisp salad or even with some grilled vegetables of your choice.