|Shortening||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|All purpose flour||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Cocoa||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs)|
|Baking soda||1 Teaspoon|
|Hot water||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Buttermilk||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs)|
|Firmly packed brown sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|All purpose flour||3 Tablespoon|
|Evaporated milk||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Egg yolks||2 , slightly beaten|
1. Pre-heat oven to 350° F.
2. In a bowl, cream shortening and sugar, beating well.
3. Put in egg and egg yolk, beating well.
4. In a different bowl, add flour, cocoa, and salt; stir well.
5. In a saucepan, dissolve soda in hot water; cool slightly.
6. Put in the flour mixture to creamed mixture. Alternate with soda mixture and buttermilk, beginning and ending with dry ingredients.
7. Put heaped tablespoons of batter onto ungreased cookie sheets. Drop them 2 inches apart.
8. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes.
9. Take away immediately from cookie sheets; cool on wire racks.
10. TO PREPARE THE FILLING: In a saucepan, mix sugar and flour; slowly mix in milk.
11. Simmer over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and boils.
12. Then, boil 1 minute, stirring constantly; remove from heat.
13. Gradually stir about one-fourth of hot mixture into yolks.
14. Now add the egg mixture to remaining hot mixture, stirring constantly.
15. Return pan to heat. Bring to a boil and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
16. Take away from heat; put in butter, mix until butter melts. Allow it to cool.
17. Apply the filling on flat side of half the cookies; sandwich with remaining plain cookies.
18. Serve right away or store in an airtight container.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 4817 Calories from Fat 1660
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 189 g290.8%
Saturated Fat 72 g359.9%
Trans Fat 13.5 g
Cholesterol 905.5 mg301.8%
Sodium 2816.1 mg117.3%
Total Carbohydrates 774 g258%
Dietary Fiber 61.1 g244.3%
Sugars 449.1 g
Protein 99 g198.5%
Vitamin A 44.8% Vitamin C 8.1%
Calcium 120.4% Iron 223.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet