Chicken and Leek Pie
|Ready rolled puff pastry sheet||1 , thawed if frozen (8-inch)|
|Egg||1 , beaten (to glaze)|
|Boneless chicken breasts||8 Ounce, skinned|
|Chestnut mushrooms||3 Ounce (small)|
|Plain flour||1 Tablespoon|
|Chicken stock||1⁄4 Pint|
|Creme fraiche||4 Tablespoon|
|Dijon mustard||2 Teaspoon|
|Caster sugar||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Fresh flat leaf parsley||1 Tablespoon, roughly chopped|
|Black pepper||To Taste, ground|
1. Preheat the oven to 220 degrees centigrade.
2. Cut a 1-inch strip from round the edges of the pastry square. Brush the edges of the remaining square with egg, place the strip around the edge of the remaining square to make a pastry case, trimming off the extra lengths. Prick the base and then brush all over with egg. Bake for 8 minutes until golden.
3. Remove the pastry case from the oven.
4. Heat a large frying pan, slice leeks diagonally, add 1 ounce of the butter to the pan with the leeks and fry for 3-4 minutes until softened.
5. Cut the chicken into chunks and thickly slice the mushrooms. Add the chicken to the pan and stir-fry for 3 to 4 minutes until lightly browned. Add the mushrooms and cook for 1 to 2 minutes. Stir the flour into the pan with the chicken, gradually pour in the stock, stirring until smooth. Bring to the boil then simmer for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
6. Peel and thinly slice the carrots into ribbons.
7. Heat a frying pan, add the remaining butter to the wok and stir-fry the carrot ribbons for 1 to 2 minutes until just tender.
8. Stir the crÃ¨me fraiche and mustard into the chicken mixture. Season with salt and pepper to taste and heat gently until warmed through.
9. Sprinkle the sugar over the carrots, add a squeeze of lemon juice and cook for 1 to 2 minutes. Toss the parsley with the carrots and season with pepper.
10. Spoon in the chicken mixture in cooled pastry.
11. Serve the pie hot with the carrots.
Calories 717 Calories from Fat 348
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 39 g60.4%
Saturated Fat 17.6 g88%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 234.3 mg78.1%
Sodium 583.9 mg24.3%
Total Carbohydrates 55 g18.2%
Dietary Fiber 7.6 g30.4%
Sugars 14.1 g
Protein 39 g78.8%
Vitamin A 330.4% Vitamin C 82.5%
Calcium 18.8% Iron 35.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet