Chicken and Ham Pie
|For the pastry|
|Flour||3⁄4 Pound (350 Grams)|
|Butter||1⁄2 Pound (225 Grams)|
|Water||45 Milliliter (3 Tablespoons)|
|Milk||4 Tablespoon (For Glazing)|
|For the filling|
|Chicken leg||1 , cooked, skinned, boned and cut into cubes|
|Ham||4 Ounce, cooked and chopped|
|Onion||1 Small, peeled and chopped|
|Frozen sweetcorn||4 Ounce, cooked, drained (100 Grams)|
|Ground black pepper||To Taste|
|Eggs||2 , beaten|
1. Preheat the oven to oven (190°C/375°F or Gas Mark 5).
2. To make the pastry into a bowl sift the flour and salt.
3. Add the butter in pieces and rub into the flour with the fingertips until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
4. Stir in enough water to form firm dough.
5. Divide the dough in two.
6. On a floured surface roll out one half and use to line a 23 cm/9 in ovenproof or foil pie plate.
7. To make the filling in a bowl add all the ingredients and stir well to mix.
8. Spread over the dough-lined plate, leaving a small margin all round.
9. Roll out the remaining dough to form a lid.
10. Moisten the edges of the dough, place the lid on top of the filling and press firmly to seal together.
11. Trim and flute the edge and use any trimmings to decorate the top of the pie.
12. Cut an air vent in the centre.
13. If you wish to freeze the dish, do so at this stage. Open (flash) freeze until firm, then wrap in foil or a freezer bag. Seal, label and return to the freezer.
14. To serve the frozen dish, remove wrappings, then thaw at room temperature for 4 hours.
15. Brush the dough with milk and bake in a preheated moderately hot for 40 to 45 minutes.
16. Cover with foil if the pastry becomes too brown.