Speedy Shepherd'S Pie
|For meat crust|
|Fresh bread crumbs||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Grated onion||1 Tablespoon|
|Egg||1 , slightly beaten|
|Dijon-style mustard||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Thyme leaf||1⁄2 Teaspoon, crumbled|
|Ground beef||1 1⁄2 Pound|
|For vegetable filling:|
|Frozen mixed vegetables||16 Ounce, cut into small pieces (1 Package)|
|All-purpose flour||1 Tablespoon|
|Beef broth||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Fresh bread crumbs||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|For potato topping:|
|Mashed potatoes||4 Cup (64 tbs) (Made From Instant Mashed Potato Flakes Using Milk, Water And Butter)|
|Parmesan cheese||3 Tablespoon, grated (2 Tablespoons Plus 1 Tablespoon, For Garnish)|
1) Preheat oven to a moderate 375° F.
2) FOR THE MEAT CRUST: Take a 9-inch pie plate and combine onion, bread crumbs, egg, milk, catsup, thyme, mustard, pepper and salt. Mix well. Add meat and create a pie crust layer along the bottom and sides or the plate, keeping the mixture within the rim.
3) Place aluminum foil under the plate to catch any dripping and bake in the oven for about 15 minutes or until meat juices begin to run clear upon being pierced with a fork.
4) Use pot holders to hold the pie plate and drain off any excess fat. Keep the oven temperature at 375° F.
5) FOR THE VEGETABLE FILLING: In the meanwhile, take a saucepan and cook vegetables in it, following package directions. Drain the vegetables in a colander and set aside.
6) In the saucepan used to cook vegetables, melt butter over low heat. Add flour and broth, stirring until smooth. Bring the mixture to a boil, stirring constantly. Cook the mixture until thick and bubbly.
7) Add bread crumbs, vegetables, pepper and thyme. Pour the prepared mixture inside the baked crust.
8) FOR THE POTATO TOPPING: Add 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese to the prepared mashed potatoes. Place the mixture inside a pastry bag fitted with a large star shaped tip.
9) Using the tip, make a lattice design on the pie.
10) Garnish with 1 tablespoon of Parmesan cheese, if desired.
11) Bake pie in the preheated oven for about 15 minutes or until the filling turns hot and topping turns golden in color.
12) Serve hot and enjoy!
Calories 1012 Calories from Fat 320
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 36 g55.1%
Saturated Fat 14 g70.2%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 126.2 mg42.1%
Sodium 714.4 mg29.8%
Total Carbohydrates 142 g47.3%
Dietary Fiber 16.5 g65.9%
Sugars 1.9 g
Protein 40 g79.7%
Vitamin A 80.9% Vitamin C 114.3%
Calcium 13.3% Iron 13.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet