Scalloped Shepherd'S Pie
|Onion||1 Small, chopped|
|Sunflower oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Button mushroom||2 Ounce, sliced|
|Lean lamb||12 Ounce, minced|
|Baking potato||1 Large|
|Chicken stock||3⁄4 Pint|
|Plain flour||1 Tablespoon|
|Tomato puree||1 Tablespoon|
|Worcestershire sauce||1 Tablespoon|
|Dijon mustard||1 Teaspoon|
|Dry cider||2 Tablespoon|
|Cheddar cheese||2 Ounce|
|Fresh chopped parsley||1 Tablespoon|
|Ground black pepper||To Taste|
1. In a frying pan, heat oil, add chopped onion and cook until softened, add sliced mushrooms and stirring until well combined.
2. Add the lamb and bay leaf to the pan and cook for a further 2-3 minutes until browned, stirring to break up any lumps. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Peel and slice the potato and put in a pan of boiling salted water. Cook for about 5 minutes until just tender, then drain and leave to cool.
4. Peel and cut the swede into thick slices. Peel the carrot, cut in half, then cut into thick slices. Put the swede and carrot in a saucepan with ½ pint of stock. Simmer for about 5 minutes until just tender.
5. To the lamb mixture, add flour and cook for 1 minute, stirring, add tomato puree, Worcestershire sauce and the remaining stock, cover and simmer gently for 6-8 minutes until tender.
8. In a blender, add mustard, cider, sugar and blend.
9. Drain the vegetables and add the cider mixture to the pan. Cook over a high heat until the liquid is syrupy.
10. In a flameproof dish, add lamb mixture, remove the bay leaf and arrange the potatoes on top.
11. Grate the cheese over the top and grill until golden.
12. Serve the pie hot
Calories 843 Calories from Fat 277
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 31 g48.2%
Saturated Fat 10.6 g52.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 35.2 mg11.7%
Sodium 761.4 mg31.7%
Total Carbohydrates 68 g22.8%
Dietary Fiber 8.2 g32.7%
Sugars 18.9 g
Protein 75 g150.5%
Vitamin A 140.3% Vitamin C 82.5%
Calcium 32.3% Iron 22.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet