Mint Lamb Pie
Seasoned flour - 1 oz [25 g]
Cooking oil - 1 tablespoon [1X 20 ml spoon]
Tiny new potatoes - 1 lb [500 g]
Medium onion - 1, chopped
Mint - 2 level tablespoons [2 X 20 ml spoons], chopped
Carrots - 4 oz [100 g], scraped and sliced
Fresh peas - 4 oz [100 g]
Flaky pastry - 1 pkt 7 1/2 oz [225 g]
Milk or egg to glaze
Beef stock - 1/2 pint [250 ml]
Salt and pepper
1) Cube the lamb into 1 inch (2.5 cm) pieces and toss in flour.
2) In a pan, heat oil and add onion and gently fry for 3 minutes.
3) Mix in the lamb and cook for another 5 minutes.
4) Stir in the potatoes, stock, and mint and allow to boil.
5) Allow to simmer for 35 minutes, then add the carrots and peas, and cook for another 10 minutes.
6) Turn into a 2 pint (1 litre) pie dish.
7) Add the pastry over the pie and knock up and flute the edges.
8) Use trimmings to cut into leaves and use to decorate.
9) Brush with egg or milk and make a slit in the pastry.
10) Place in the oven at 400°F (200°C), Gas Mark 6, for 25-30 minutes. Let the pastry rise well and turn golden brown.
11) Serve with lemon butter on the side.