Potatoes - 8 oz [250 g], sieved or riced
Plain flour - 4 oz [100 g]
Butter - 2 oz [50 g]
Baking powder - 1/2 teaspoon [2.5 ml]
Water to mix
A pinch of salt
Leg of pork - 1 1/2 lb [750 g], coarsely chopped into shreds
Apples - 12 oz [375 g]
Onion - 1, small
A little white stock
Salt and pepper
1) Grease the casserole.
2) In a casserole, add a layer of meat and top with a layer of roughly chopped apples.
3) Lightly dust with sugar.
4) Grate a small onion over and season to taste.
5) Continue layering till ingredients are used, then pack down.
6) Pour enough stock to moisten the dish, then finish with a thick potato pastry crust.
7) Knock up the edges and flute.
8) Decorate with pastry leaves and place in a slow oven at 300°F (150°C), Gas Mark 2.
9) For the potato pastry, Rub in the butter into the flour.
10) Combine baking powder and salt and blend well into the potatoes.
11) Add enough water to form a stiff dough.
12) Garnish with thin apple slices and serve.