Brandied Mincemeat Chiffon Pie
Mincemeat - 1 cup
Unflavored gelatin - 1 envelope
Fresh lemon juice - 1 tablespoon
Sugar - 1/4 cup
Salt - 1/4 teaspoon
Grated fresh lemon rind - 1 teaspoon
Milk - 2/3 cup
Eggs - 3, separated
Whipping cream - 1 cup
1 9-inch pie crust - baked, with high fluted rim
1) In a small saucepan, combine together the gelatin, mincemeat, brandy and lemon juice. Let the mixture stand for about 5 minutes.
2) Slowly heat, occasionally stirring, till the gelatin has dissolved.
3) In top of a double boiler over hot, not boiling, water, combine together 2 tablespoons of sugar, salt, rind, milk and lightly beaten egg yolks.
4) Cook the mixture, constantly stirring, till it is slightly thick. This usually takes about 5 minutes.
5) Take the mixture off the heat.
6) Stir in the mincemeat mixture and let the concoction cool till it starts to jell and thicken.
7) In a clean, dry mixing bowl, beat the egg whites till they are frothy.
8) Add the remaining sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, and beat well.
9) Whip the cream till it starts to form soft peaks.
10) Into the pie filling, fold the egg whites and cream.
11) Chill the mixture for about 5 minutes, and then turn it into the pie crust.
12) Chill the pie for a minimum of 5 hours, till very firm.
13) Place the chilled pie on a decorative serving platter and cut into wedges to serve.