Old Fashioned Lemon Meringue Pie
Cornstarch - 3 tablespoons
Salt - 1/4 teaspoon
Milk- 2 cups
Eggs - 2, separated
Lemon rind - 1 teaspoon, grated
Lemon juice - 1/3 cup
Butter or Margarine - 3 tablespoons
Pastry shell - 1 of 9-inches, baked
Cream of tartar - 1/4 teaspoon
Sugar - 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons
Vanilla extract - 1/2 teaspoon
1) Preheat oven to temperature of 400 degrees.
2) In a heavy saucepan, combine together 1 cup of sugar, salt and cornstarch.
3) Add the milk gradually, stirring well till blended.
4) Cook the mixture over moderate heat, constantly stirring, till it is thick and comes to a boil.
5) Boil for about 1 minute, constantly stirring.
6) Take the mixture off the heat.
7) Beat the egg yolks till they are thick and lemon colored.
8) Stir about 1/4th of the hot mixture into the yolks and then add to the remaining hot mixture. Stir well.
9) Cook the concoction over moderate heat, constantly stirring, for 2 to 3 minutes.
10) Take the mixture off the heat, add the butter, lemon rind and juice and stir well.
11) Pour the concoction into the pastry shell.
12) Beat the egg whites and cream of tartar together till the mixture is foamy.
13) Add the remaining sugar to the mixture, very gradually (1 tablespoon at a time), beating well after each addition till soft peaks start to form. Add the vanilla and beat well.
14) Over the filling in the pastry shell, spread the meringue. Seal the edges.
15) Bake in the preheated oven for 10 minutes, till the top is golden brown in color.
16) Transfer the pie to a decorative serving plate, slice into wedges and serve warm or at room temperature. Makes an excellent dessert.