Pineapple Coconut Pie
Sugar - 1/2 cup
All-purpose flour - 2 tablespoons
Light corn syrup - 1 cup
Butter or Margarine - 2 tablespoons
Lemon juice - 2 tablespoons
Vanilla extract - 1 teaspoon
Crushed pineapple - 1 can of 8 ounces, drained
Coconut - 1/2 cup, flaked
Egg - 1
Water - 1 teaspoon
All-purpose flour - 2 cups
Sugar - 2 tablespoons
Salt - 3/4 teaspoon
Shortening - 2/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons
Cold water - 4 to 6 tablespoons
1) Preheat oven to temperature of 400 degrees.
2) To make the Pastry, combine together the flour, salt and sugar and cut in the shortening with the help of a pastry blender, till the mixture looks like coarse meal.
3) Sprinkle cold water, 1 tablespoon at a time, evenyl over the surface and stir well with the help of a fork till the dry ingredients are moistened.
4) Form the dough into a ball and chill it for about 30 minutes.
5) Roll out about 3/4th of the prepared pastry to a thickness of 1/8-inch and fir into a pie plate of 8-inches. Trim the edges.
6) Roll out the remainder of the dough to a thickness of 1/8-inches and cut into 1-inch circles. Arrange around the pastry's edges.
7) Combine together the flour, sugar and 2 eggs. Use an electric mixer set at medium speed to blend till smooth.
8) Add the butter, lemon juice, syrup and vanilla. Beat for another minute.
9) Add the coconut and pineapple, stir well and pour the mixture into the pastry shell.
10) Combine together water and 1 egg, mix well and brush over the pastry.
11) Bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes. Reduce the heat to 350 degrees and bake for another 25 minutes, till set.
12) Transfer the pie to a decorative serving plate and serve warm or at room temperature. Makes an excellent dessert.