Spicy Coconut Chiffon Pie
|9 inch crisco pastry shell||1|
|Coconut||1 Cup (16 tbs), flaked|
|Unflavored gelatine||1 Tablespoon (1 Envelope)|
|Sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Milk||1 1⁄4 Cup (20 tbs)|
|Cream of tartar||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Whipped cream||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
1. Preheat oven to 350° Fahrenheit.
2. Following directions on the package, bake pastry shell and cool it completely.
3. In a shallow pan, mix together coconut, cinnamon, ginger, and mace; spread it at the bottom.
4. Toast the mixture in preheated oven for about 8 minutes until coconut is brown; occasionally stir.
5. In a medium saucepan, mix together gelatin, sugar and salt.
6. Gradually stir in milk.
7. Stir in egg yolks and cook over low heat until the mixture thickens; stir constantly.
8. Stir in vanilla and cool.
9. In a large mixer bowl, using an electric mixer, beat together cream of tartar and egg whites until stiff but not dry.
10. In another large bowl, whip cream and add to the cooled egg yolk mixture along with egg whites and mix with folding movement.
11. Refrigerate the mixture until partially set.
12. Into the pastry shell, spoon half of the filling mixture and sprinkle with half of the browned coconut mixture.
13. Repeat layering and refrigerate pie until chill.
14. Garnish with additional whipped cream.
15. Slice Spicy Coconut Chiffon Pie into wedges and serve chill.