Fried Autumn Apple Pies
|All-purpose flour||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Vegetable shortening||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Cold water||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|White sugar||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Ground cinnamon||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Vegetable oil||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
1. Peel and dice apples. Put them into a saucepan and add sugar and cinnamon.
2. Cook over low heat until soft, then mash with fork to form a thick applesauce. This will take about 20 to 25 minutes.
3. In a bowl, sift flour and salt together. Cut in the shortening. Add water and mix with fork.
4. On a floured board, roll out to about 1/8 inch thick.
5. Using a large cookie cutter (4 inches in diameter), cut the shapes.
6. In each round, keep1 heaping tablespoon of the cooked fruit. Moisten edges with cold water, fold and press edge with a fork.
7. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat.
8. Drop a few at a time, fry 2 to 3 minutes on each side; cook until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.
9. Dust confectioners sugar, make slices and serve hot.
Image Courtesy: flickr.com
Calories 523 Calories from Fat 359
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 41 g62.6%
Saturated Fat 6.8 g34.2%
Trans Fat 1.7 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 244.4 mg10.2%
Total Carbohydrates 38 g12.5%
Dietary Fiber 1.9 g7.6%
Sugars 12.3 g
Protein 3 g6.7%
Vitamin A 0.4% Vitamin C 2.9%
Calcium 1.1% Iron 8.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet