|For the cheese pastry:|
|Butter||4 Ounce, cut into cubes|
|Cheddar cheese||3 Ounce, finely grated|
|Water||1 Cup (16 tbs) (To Mix)|
|Egg||1 , beaten (To Finish)|
|For the filling:|
|Onion||1 , peeled and sliced|
|Carrots||3 , peeled and sliced|
|Sweet corn||7 Ounce, drained (1 Can)|
|Mushrooms||2 Ounce, sliced|
|Celery stalks||4 , chopped|
|Leek||1 , sliced|
|Condensed tomato soup||10 1⁄2 Ounce (1 Can)|
|Freshly ground black pepper||To Taste|
1) Preheat he oven to 400°F.
2) In a bowl, sift the flour and add the butter.
3) Using fingertips rub butter into the flour until the mixture is grainy.
4) Fold in the cheese and add water to bind the mixture together.
5) Leave the dough in a cool place and cover in damp cloth.
6) In a saucepan, melt the butter and saute the onion, carrot, corn, mushrooms, celery and leeks for 10 minutes.
7) Place the vegetable mixture into pie dish.
8) Stream the soup and stock over the vegetable mixture and season to taste.
9) Over the flour dusted surface, roll the dough into thin sheet.
10) Cover the top of the pie dish, with the dough sheet.
11) Cut and flute the edges and use the trimmings to decorate the top of the pie.
12) Lightly coat the surface of the pie with beaten egg.
13) Bake in the oven for 15 minutes
14) Reduce the temperature of the oven to 350°F. and bake for 45 minutes until light browned on top and heated through.
15) If you wish to freeze the dish, then do so at this stage. Wrap in a foil, seal, label and freeze.
16) Serve hot garnished with chopped parsley if desired.
17) If using the frozen pie, take off the wrapping and coat lightly with beaten egg.
18) Bake from frozen in a preheated oven at 400°F for 15 minutes.
19) Reduce the heat to 350°F and continue to bake for 1 hours or until browned on top and heated through.
20) Serve as mentioned in step 16.