Aubergine Eggplant And Tomato Pie
|Aubergines||1 Pound, finely sliced|
|Flour||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Vegetable oil||2 Cup (32 tbs) (For Frying)|
|Bel paese cheese/Edam cheese||1⁄2 Pound, finely sliced|
|Parmesan cheese||1 Ounce, grated|
|Tomatoes||14 Ounce (For The Sauce:)|
|For the sauce:|
|Onion||1 Small, peeled, finely chopped|
|Carrot||1 , peeled, finely chopped|
|Celery stalk||1 , finely chopped|
|Dried oregano||1 Pinch|
|Dried basil||1 Pinch|
|Black pepper||To Taste (Freshly Ground)|
1) Preheat the oven to 375°F.
2) Coat the bottom of a ovenproof dish with butter.
3) In a saucepan, saute together tomatoes, onions, carrots, celery, oregano, basil sugar and seasoning.
4) Put the lid on and cook over low heat for 30 minutes.
5) Take the tomato mixture off the heat and allow to cool.
6) Dredge the aubergine with salt and allow to sweat for 30 minutes.
7) Pour off the liquid if any and rinse the aubergine under cold and dry over paper towels.
8) Using a hand blender blend the tomato mixture to a smooth puree.
9) In a wok, heat oil for frying and fry the aubergine slices until golden browned on both the sides.
10) Remove and drain over paper towels.
11) Place the aubergine slices over an ovenproof dish, in single layer.
12) Over the aubergine slices, make layers of tomato sauce, Bel Paese or Edam cheese and tomato sauce again.
13) Dredge with Parmesan cheese.
14) Place in the oven and cook for 25 to 30 minutes.
15) If you wish to freeze the dish, then do so at this stage. Cover the dish with foil.
16) Seal, label and freeze.
17) Serve hot over a small mixed salad, garnished with chopped parsley if desired.
18) If using the frozen aubergine mixture, thaw at room temperature for 4 hours.
19) Reheat covered with foil in a preheated moderately hot oven for 30 minutes or until heated through.